Outwood Cricket Club – a brief history is the only formal history of Outwood Cricket Club. It was produced by L.C. ‘Johnny’ Waller in 1966.
THE OUTWOOD CRICKET CLUB
A BRIEF HISTORY
L. C. WALLER
Published by Allan Good, Hurst & Co., Ltd., 233/235 High Street, Beckenham, Kent and Printed by Michael Stephen Press, la Links Road, London, SW17.
Early Days Until 1914
Between The Wars (1919-1940)
List of Honour
Notes on a few of the interesting buildings in the Outwood District
The Author has been kind enough to ask me to write a foreword to his History of the Outwood Cricket Club.
It is of course a particular honour to follow the Past Presidents of the Club, Mr. Alfred Lloyd, Mr. Theodore Lloyd, and until her death in 1963 Mrs. B. M. Lloyd. The Lloyd family were Lord of the Manor, a distinction I cannot remotely claim, but one thing we shared was a love of village cricket, and Outwood cricket in particular.
The Club owe a debt of thanks to Mr. Waller, for the time and energy he has devoted to preparing this History. The research entailed in order to produce an accurate picture over nearly eighty years, is more than may be realised.
Although this is the story of Outwood, it could well be many a village club, and some of the characters portrayed may bring nostalgic memories to those who have had the privilege of being associated with that particular luxury known as “Village Cricket”.
No cricket club, particularly those such as our own, could ever exist as we know it, without the help of the Ladies. I would like to pay tribute to the Ladies, who over the years have provided such wonderful teas and cricket suppers, and to those who have followed in more recent times, to thank them for maintaining the splendid standard we have always enjoyed. To those wives who because of family commitments have not been able to spare as much time as some, they too should be thanked for unselfishly allowing their husbands the enjoyment of playing,
To those who have been kind enough to buy a copy of this publication to help Club funds, I hope you will find pleasure in recapturing the past. To those who are fortunate enough still to play, this history will help you to retain the spirit which we in the Outwood Club have endeavoured to preserve, and enable you through cricket to make friendships which I and many others treasure with so much gratitude.
A. D. J. Ashpool
Over the years many people have been asked to write the history of the Outwood Cricket Club and in 1953 the Honorary Secretary, Mr. B. F. Rand, started the task in earnest. He interviewed Mr.Walter Scott of “Holmlea”, Millers Lane , Outwood, the man reputed to be the Club’s inaugural Secretary, from whom he obtained much useful information. At the time Mr. Scott had reached the age of 85. Mr. Rand’s notes of his interviews with the Club’s “oldest inhabitant” were, however, mislaid and they have never since been found. Mr. Scott died in 1963 and it is most unfortunate that no real effort was apparently made to interview him for a second time, particularly as it is believed that papers of historic Club value, important in the writing of its history, were destroyed after his death. Fortunately, however, before the present work on the Club’s past had been completed an old Minute Book, covering the period from 1897-1948, came to light and this has made it possible to establish certain dates and other useful facts. The present author wishes to make it quite clear that he claims no literary ability whatsoever and has merely tried to obtain as many facts as possible, supported by some likely and unlikely stories and has put these together in a form which he trusts will be of interest and stimulate many a conversation among past and present members, supporters and well-wishers of the Outwood Cricket Club. The author is indebted to the President of the Club, also to past and present members, the legal administrators of the Harewood Estate, to members of the late Mr. Scott’s family for the interest shown and the help received, to Mr. M. Whitwell for assistance in the matter of research, to Mr. K. J. Christie for typing the proofs from the manuscript, also to Mr. Granville Roberts for his services in “Editing” the proofs. The following Official persons and bodies were contacted and gave such help as they were able:
Surrey County Council Library Services
The Archivist of the Surrey County Council
The Editor of the Surrey Mirror
The Engineer and Surveyor of the Godstone R.D.C.
The Director of the British Museum (Library and Map Sections).
The author is also indebted to local residents for courtesy extended and help given in respect of the final chapter of this booklet.
EARLY DAYS AND UNTIL 1914
In its early days the Club seems mostly to have revolved around the Lloyd and Scott families. Mr. Alfred Lloyd purchased the Harewoods Estate in the year 1875, and made his home at Harewoods House, where he lived with his wife and son Theodore, the latter being three years old at the time. The Lloyds played a major part in the life of the village, including the formation of the cricket club. The Harewoods Estate included brick yards and brick fields, which were sited just behind the present pavilion, and extended to the vicinity of the Church. The deep gullies in the woods to the South-west of the ground could well have resulted from excavations of clay for the purpose of making the bricks. For a few seasons cricket was played in a field near the Church, but later Mr. Lloyd closed the brick yards and his estate workers cleared the present site of trees, shrubs and bushes and formed the present ground.
In spite of considerable time and research spent on the matter, it has been found nearly impossible to give a firm date as to when cricket was first played on the present ground, however, it has always been accepted that Mr. Waiter Scott was the Club’s first Secretary and in 1910 his grateful fellow clubmen presented to him a gold watch, still the treasured possession of one of his friends, and this watch bears the inscription: “Presented by Outwood C.C. to W. H. Scott, April 1910-20 years HON, SK.”. Mr. Scott continued in office after the presentation.
Accepting the fact that the 20 years did not include 1910, that season not having started at the time of the presentation, this would bring the date when the Club was first constituted as we now know it, that is with democratically elected officers, back to 1889. In 1919, after the First World War, Mr. Scott again got the Club moving and then retired as Secretary, and the fact is recorded in the Minute Book that it was after “30 years’ service as Secretary”. This again makes 1889 as the Club’s probable inaugural year and one we can accept. It is the writer’s opinion that the games played near the Church and possibly for a season or two on the present ground before 1889 were matches played on a country house basis and arranged by word of mouth or other impromptu methods, possibly by Mr. Lloyd himself or a member of his staff. It has therefore been agreed by present day members that 1889 be the accepted date of the Club’s formation and it is further suggested that when centenary celebrations are considered the year for such activities should be 1989. Incidentally, local legend has it, that cricket was played from about 1860 on the triangular shaped piece of ground opposite the windmill, but again one feels that these games were very much of an impromptu character. It was quite a possibility that the field near the Church would be the permanent home of the Club but the present site was chosen and had it not been for the fact that Mr. Lloyd was very conscious of natural beauty and trees in particular the shape of the ground could have been somewhat different and even more attractive than the splendid ground we now enjoy. One idea was to obtain the small meadow on the East side of the ground and turn the playing area into an “Oval”. Negotiations apparently broke down as Mr. Lloyd felt that two oak trees that formed part of the boundary should not be destroyed. Unfortunately, some years later those trees were struck by lightning and were lost.
The South-east corner of the ground was the cause of a spot of bother. Apparently Mr. Lloyd gave instructions to his employees that ground clearance should stop at three young oak trees, but either the employees did not understand or they let their enthusiasm get the better of their judgement and pulled out the oak trees, with a view to clearing towards Millers Lane. Mr. Lloyd was seriously displeased, in fact one may assume that he was hopping mad. At any rate the sacrificed oaks were replaced in 1897. To commemorate Queen Victoria ‘s Jubilee Year the three chestnut trees which now adorn the entrance to the ground were planted on Mr. Lloyd’s orders. In the early days the common land around the ground was kept clear of shrub greatly to the advantage of Waiter Scott who was known to nip off home during match days and get on with his domestic commitments, making frequent visits to his garden gate to keep an eye on the scoreboard and returning to the game when he was required for active participation.
During this period the Club matches included mid-week and all day games initiated by Mr. Lloyd and the team consisted of the members of the Outwood team and estate employees. Mr. Lloyd was a sports man whose patronage extended to other fields, much to the liking of both his own estate staff and the village. Waiter Scott used to describe “the squire ‘ ” as a keen horseman, whose hunting exploits were much admired. His hospitality, when the Hunt Ball was held at Harewoods House, extended to all and was the village event of the year, and the shoot was also very well known. These activities, as well, as his powerful support of cricket endeared him as a local leader and patron.
A tent acted as the pavilion and this was brought to the ground by means of horse and cart or pony and trap, and in a similar manner the refreshments would arrive from “The Prince”, where Mr. E. L. Scott was “mine host” and also an Outwood player. It is worth recalling that lunch with beer ad-lib was provided at a cost of 2/- per head!
Club fixtures in 1901 included Blindley Heath, Horley, Monotype, Redhill and Reigate Priory, and these teams with the addition of Newchapel were also played in 1903.
Photographs hanging in the pavilion bear witness to the fact that in 1892 and for several years later an annual match was played between a Scott X] and “Outwood C.C.”. Members of the former team did not necessarily play for Outwood, some assisting local villages such as Salfords, but the Outwood team consisted of names still very familiar in the village, and the 1900 team consisted of such characters as Billy Lord, T. Rabourn, A. A. Stacey, W. G. Scott, W. J. Scott, E. L. Scott, A. P. Scott, W. Jupp, Emery Wright, E. Young, W. Talbot, and N. Tett.
Other personalities of the Club around the turn of the century included Messrs. J. Wright, R. Wright, Captain Mirchouse, A. Young, W. Gatland, E. Bishop, F. Locket, A. Dean, J. A. Harris, and the Vicars of the Parish, including Vicars Hawken, Leatay and Sparshatt.
Perhaps the most prominent of these gentlemen in Club matters was Mr. Emery Wright, the village blacksmith and wheelwright, who was Captain in 1896, and possibly even earlier, and continued in office until the end of 1902, and who also later served on the Committee and as Vice-Captain for several years. In 1906 he was made the Club’s first “professional” groundsman, the annual salary being £5.0.0. When Mr. Wright died in 1915 the Club lost a loyal and diligent member.
Mr. F. Locket skippered the side from 1906 until 1913 and here again was a man devoted to the Club who rendered so many service-s in addition to playing.
Ground maintenance, as always, created some problems. Grass cutting was done by a mower drawn by a pony. To prevent damage to the turf the pony was fitted with leather shoes and it must have been quite a sight to see the outfit working on the ground. The large roller which adorns the ground was an early piece of equipment acquired by the Club, except for repairs to the shafts it has cost very little for maintenance and has been a most worthy servant to the Club. It was purchased in 1904 at a sale held at Shepherds Farm for the sum of £8.15.0. A story is told how on one occasion some half a dozen or so keen gentlemen of the Club pushed the roller for five eighths of a mile, mostly up-hill, from the ground to the Marl Pond for the purpose of filling up the drum with water. Upon arrival at the pond and after some difficulty had been experienced in untapping the drum, it was found that it was already full of water! This discovery is said to have enraged some of the escorting party whose reputation for solid worth and dignity was sadly damaged as a result of their verbal reaction.
The Pavilion was built in the years 1896-97 and the cost was in the region of £200. It is a considerable matter for thought when one considers that the replacement value of the Pavilion would now be around ten to twenty times the initial cost. When the pavilion was completed the Club could and did claim to have one of the most picturesque village grounds in the south of England .
Present day members are still fully appreciative of all the hard work, thought and perseverance of predecessors which brought the ground and its amenities into being and it is hoped that the traditions of the Club necessitating a high standard of clubmanship rather than a high standard of playing wIll always be treasured by its future members. It was decided in 1902 that the Club colours should be light and dark blue in striped formation.
The owner of the Mill, Mr. W. Jupp, was one of the founder playing members and later for twenty-five years he took on the onerous task of “Club Umpire”. His two sons, Stanley and Ben, followed in their father’s footsteps as players and during this period an amusing incident occurred when one Saturday afternoon the team assembled at the village and set off in a horse and cart to Godstone to play the latter club on Godstone Green.
After travelling for some time and when the team were in the vicinity of Bletchingley, it was realized with some consternation that the umpire was missing. It was also quickly realized that to go to a local ” Derby ” without the team’s “own umpire” was sheer bad organisation which could have nothing but the most disastrous repercussions! So Neddy and the cart were turned back to Outwood, where Mr. Jupp was at his appointed “picking up” spot, the bench in the bar at “The Bell”. A restart of the journey was made and the team duly arrived at Godstone around 3.45, which the home side felt, rather strongly one hears, was somewhat late for a 2.30 start. Outwood duly won the match. Around the same period it is claimed that Outwood dismissed Godstone for one run, which run resulted from an “extra”! Incidentally, Godstone do not appear on the present Club fixture list.
When the horse and cart were not available away matches caused some difficulty, but the enthusiastic team were known to set off on foot to South Nutfield Station, complete with cricket gear. This in itself would have been quite a journey to say nothing of the return journey at night! It must have been a very weary eleven that eventually arrived back in Outwood village. They were good walkers in those days though; and Waiter Scott was fond of relating tales of his “outings” when he walked from Outwood over the fields to Bletchingley and back via South Park to Outwood.
During the pre-1914 period two elevens were fielded on Saturday afternoons. Annual meetings were held in the Church Room and year after year there were two main items of business on the agenda: 1, to elect Officers and Committee; 2, to decide who had won the batting and bowling prize of each eleven.
The latter item seemed to cause quite an appreciable amount of difficulty and the rules concerning eligibility were frequently altered to meet the case. In 1907 the following proposition was put to the meeting, and believe it or not, was carried, “that the rule regarding the prize for batting be amended to the effect that to be eligible a member must play at least 8 innings-not out innings to be counted as one of the above innings-though of course the average to be counted ‘out’ in the usual proper manner.” The general idea regarding prizes was for the Club to donate the first eleven batting and bowling prize, and for the second eleven prizes to be put up by private donors. This was varied when the Club was hard pressed for money on which occasions the second eleven prizes would be allocated to the first eleven winners and the second eleven winners were left with only the “honour” of having won. The first eleven prizes were in the form of cash, in the early days 17/6d. to each of the winners, and one could ask whether they lost their amateur status by accepting these money prizes?
One feels this chapter should not be concluded without a few more lines about the two men who did so much towards founding and establishing on a firm foundation the Outwood Cricket Club. Mr. Waiter Scott the inaugural Secretary who after he retired as a player would every succeeding season until his death walk on match days across to the ground he loved to join on the “critic’s bench” such old playing colleagues as Bill Maynard, Charlie Martin, Stan Jupp, George Miles, Waiter Howick, Arthur Young and other stalwarts of past seasons, there to enjoy watching succeeding generations representing the Club. He was also the Outwood Church organist for 50 years.
Mr. Alfred Lloyd, the Club’s first President, died on the 5th March, 1919, and left behind the ground and pavilion as testimony of the fact that his love of cricket and Outwood cricket in particular must have been very great indeed.
BETWEEN THE WARS
The ground had lain idle during the First World War, but in the Spring of 1919 it was again cleared by enthusiastic supporters of the Club who were again anxious to see Outwood cricket resumed without delay.
A General Meeting was called and held in the Church Room on April 8th, 1919, and although a complete list of those present is not available the following were elected officers: President, T. H. Lloyd; Chairman, Rev. F. McConnel; Captain, E. L. Scott; Vice-Captain, A. Dean; with a supporting committee of Messrs. J. Corsten, E. Young, V. Elliott, E. Bates, J. Wright, T. Bell and W. Jupp.
The foregoing has particular interest inasmuch as it was the final season for Walter Scott as Secretary and the first season of Mr. Theodore H. Lloyd as the Club’s President, an office he continued to hold without a break until his death on the 23rd March, 1959. Mr. Scott was succeeded in office as Secretary by the then licensee of “The Bell” whose name, appropriately enough, was Mr. Bell, and he remained in office until 1924 when Mr. Arthur Constable took over and served seven years. Mr. Arthur Harman also did the job before the War for seven years, whilst Mr. Stan Jupp and Mr. George Miles also held office for shorter periods. Others who assisted the Club overthis difficult period included Captain Mirchouse, Dr. W. H. Maw, J. S. Murton, J. Glanville, W. Maynard, W. Gatland, R. Walker, Charlie Martin and the Rev. A. E. Lait.
The number of Club Captains for the 22 years under review was considerable and in direct contrast to the comparable numbers both before 1914 and after 1940, in fact the following eleven gentlemen were appointed and held office for an average of two seasons each: Messrs. E. L. Scott, Rev. F. McConnel, J. R. E. Cunliffe, W. Gatland, W. S. Allom, F. A. Clutterbuck, G. Hollingsbee, G. Miles, J. C, Rice, T. H. Roberts and J. P. Glanville.
During this period one eleven was run, playing on Saturday afternoons and Bank Holidays, the reduced number of players available forcing the Club into the abandonment of the policy of playing two elevens as was the case before 1914.
Among early Captains appointed after the First World War was a Major J. R. E. Cunliffe who although, apparently, not the most popular of skippers was without doubt a colourful personality. The Major lived at Christmas Farm in Picketts Lane and would arrive at the ground on horseback. He would lead his team on to the field immaculately dressed and complete with white kid gloves and a monocle.
When batting he was only interested in scoring fours and sixes and on one occa3ion when an enterprising team mate called him for a short run and got himself run out as a result the Major turned to the unfortunate and somewhat irate victim and apologised saying, “Sorry old boy-1 dropped my monocle”.
“The Cricketer” dated 16th September, 1922, contains a report of a game played on the Outwood ground on the 6th September, 1922, between Major J. R. E. Cunliffe’s Xl and Redhill Wednesday Xl. A remarkable performance was witnessed, the last wicket partnership of the Redhill side putting on no less than 201 runs. “The Cricketer” suggested this may have created a record for afternoon club cricket. The Outwood Club record for the 10th wicket was without doubt created at Blindley Heath around 1936 between E. A. Sellars, who lived at the bottom of Rookery Hill and tragically died in 1947 at the early age of 38, and young George Constable in his early days with the Club. Outwood had been struggling for runs but these two put on 140 for the last wicket. George was subsequently to become a Vice Captain of the Club, a position he held for many years.
On the 9th February, 1929, the long serving Club Secretary, Mr. Arthur J. Constable, was married and the Club members presented the couple with an oak table suitably inscribed. The oak for the table was obtained as a result of renovations being made at “Old Cottage”, the home of the Clutterbuck family who in various capacities hav3 done so much for the Club. The problems of the Captains during these years were similar to earlier, current and no doubt future Captains of the Club. Captain F. A. Clutterbuck’s notes for his report to the A.G.M. in 1928 included the following:- “Ground – Rabbits and Netting, pitch repairs, repairs to pavilion roof, etc. Working party needed to complete netting repairs, pitch to roll, rough grass to cut etc.Conclusion: 1. Tomorrow as ever is – come up in full strength. 2. All good friends. 3. Thanks to Umpire and Scorer.” These notes are similar and almost identical to those compiled yearly some thirty years later by Captain Clutterbuck’s son David during his term of office as Captain of the Club.
The Balance Sheets during these years indicated that ‘the average amounts of both receipts and expenditure were in the region of £30, the balance in hand fluctuating between £2 and £3. The groundsman’s annual salary was £5 and a typical gear account (1927) was as follows:
£ s d.
1 pair of Leg Guards 10-0
1 Inner Gloves 2-0
1 Wicketkeeping Gauntlets 10-0
The playing member’s subscription was 5/- per annum and a donation of 10/- to the Club funds by a subscriber elevated that person to the Vice- President’s list.
It has been said that an Eton-Harrow School match was played sometime between the Wars on the Club ground. It was arranged at very short notice and necessitated cancelling a Club fixture and although this caused some criticism all was forgiven when it was explained that the Club funds had benefited to the extent of £5. 5s. Od. in respect of the hire of the ground.
it was in 1932 that Mr. Alfred E. Young was elected to the Committee and he continued to serve the Club for over 30 years before retiring. He had followed in the footsteps of his father, Mr. Ernie Young, his uncle, Mr. A. Young, and cousins, Jim and Wally, all of whom had been most respected and valued members of the Club. Alf had the honour of being one of the torch bearers of the 1948 Olympic Games which were held at Wembley Stadium.
During these years water for the purpose of pitch maintenance and teas was conveyed through the woods by hand, having been obtained from the Butcher’s shop and nearby cottages. Junior members of the Club had the honour of carrying out this chore and present day members George Constable and Alf Young were frequently among the carriers. Main water was laid as far as the Pavilion in 1938, the cost being £19. 5s. Od. and this amount was covered in a grant received from the National Playing Fields Association. During this period half day Saturday cricket and two all day Bank Holiday games constituted the fixture list. In 1939 the Club had no less than eight members forming the Selection Committee and no doubt weighty considerations and much burning of midnight oil took place before finally selecting the eleven players from 22 playing members for the one half-day weekly match.
The Whitsun Bank Holiday game was against Croydon. Pawnbrokers who continued to come until 1962, but it seems that “the affluent society” of this later period requires fewer Pawnbrokers, and in 1963 they were unable to raise a side to keep this old established fixture.
The August all day game was against Cudham, who still appear on the fixture list. During the first year (1940) of the Second World War an effort was made to keep cricket going by arranging fixtures on an impromptu basis, first under the captaincy of Mr. Jimmy Glanville and later, when this gentleman went into the fighting forces, by Mr. Douglas Ashpool whom himself subsequently joined The Royal Air Force and became a Pilot. The games were mostly against Forces and A.R.P. sides, and in the later stages of the season some of these games were played with air battles going on in the skies above, men
dropping from parachutes and to the accompaniment of ack ack guns at full blast from surrounding districts, warden’s whistles, fire engine bells and general pandemonium. On one occasion two soldiers were killed on the ground during the lunch interval by machine gun fire. The games continued in an uninterrupted manner Sir Francis Drake would have been proud.
At the end of the 1940 season the Club completely closed down until hostilities ceased. During the war years Mr. Arthur Harman, Secretary/Treasurer and Groundsman before and after the war, did invaluable work for the Club by attending to ground maintenance so far as he could in such difficult conditions.
In 1926 an active Outwood Ladies’ Cricket Club was formed which ‘in addition to playing the annual traditional game against the men, played other villages that could put out a similar team. The Captain was Mrs. Evelyn Clutterbuck, wife of Captain Clutterbuck. The team largely depended upon wives, relatives and daughters of the men’s section, in fact no less than three of the team were sisters of Bill
Maynard who played for so many years with the Men’s Club. The Ladies made a few local laws of the game, for instance they played in skirts and if a bowler pitched a ball on to the skirt, or it disappeared up the skirt, the batsman (or should it be batswoman) was deemed to be out L.B.W..
After the Second World War an attempt was made to get the Ladies’ Section again into motion and Miss Opal Clutterbuck was the Captain for a short time, but with the return to the village of the menfolk the Ladies found themselves otherwise committed and the section folded up through lack of support.
The President of the Club for the whole of this period, Mr. Theodore H. Lloyd, whose father, the previous President had died in March 1919, carried on the traditions of his father towards the Club and gave it encouragement and help in many ways.
It was in 1938 that the Lloyd Hall was built as a gift from Mr. and Mrs. T. H. Lloyd to the village; and the Cricket Club together with other organizations in the village have since greatly benefited from this model village hall, the Club using it for the purpose of its meetings, suppers and other social events.
During the War years, the 72nd Division of the Canadian Army camped in the woods around the ground, using the Pavilion as their Sergeants’ Mess and the playing area for playing their favourite game of baseball.
A small band of enthusiasts got together after the Second World War as those before them had done after the First War and a General Meeting was called and held in the Pavilion on the 26th April, 1946. At this meeting A. D. J. Ashpool took the chair and the first item of business was to read, confirm, and sign the minutes of the A.G.M. held six years earlier in 1940.
Mr. A. Harman was thanked for the work he had done for the Club during the War years and was again elected Secretary and Groundsman. The Committee was formed to deal with such urgent matters as finance (the balance in hand being £8. 18s. 21d) and repairs to the Pavilion, ground and fences, and consisted of Messrs. A. D. J. Ashpool, B. A. Clutterbuck, A. E. Young, F. Streeter, G. Constable, G. Miles, P. Pocock, L. Thompson and C. Springbett. These gentlemen had the formidable task of getting the Club re-organised and working again after the long hiatus. One notable minute was carried at the meeting and this was to the effect that in addition to Saturday afternoon and Bank Holiday games the Club should play cricket on Sundays.
During the early 1950’s the Club, to a great extent inspired by Mr. John Avenell, decided to have designed a Club Badge and also to adopt a Club Motto. It causes no surprise that a picture of the 300-year-old Post Mill, under whose shadows the ground almost falls, was chosen to be the centre piece of the badge. The mill, built in 1665, had been owned and run by the Jupp family since 1868 and Millers W. Jupp and his son S. Jupp each were for many years stalwart players and supporters of the Club. It is said that in 1666, Outwoodians had viewed the Great Fire of London from the top of the Mill,
“AUDENTIS FORTUNA JUVAT’ was chosen as the Club’s Motto. My friends who claim some knowledge of the Latin language tell me that the literal translation of the wording is “Fortune favours the
The Captaincy after the Second World War was held over the years by only a few members, A. D. J. Ashpool taking over this honour immediately after the war, giving up owing to ill-health after one season and resuming in 1949 until 1952 when he again gave up for health reasons. He once more took control during the seasons 1953154 and then finally retired from active participation on the field of play, but he has continued to play an active part in Club affairs being Secretary for eight years, an active Vice-President over the whole period and eventually our President. All through these difficult years of change and progress it is through Douglas Ashpool, a great lover of cricket, that the Club once again found its keel and went forward into the new era. The “caretaker” Captains during the seasons when Douglas Ashpool was unavailable were J. S. Greenhalgh and B. F. Rand. The former was at that time the accepted premier wicket-keeper of the area and was the automatic choice for representative “district” teams. He was also an attractive opening bat and amassed many runs for the Club Bill Rand an ideal “clubman”, also held office as Secretary before leaving the district in 1957.
In 1952 a ground improvement was made when the water service was extended from outside the Pavilion to a water point at the edge of the table. This extension was to greatly improve facilities for the maintenance work to the table. The bulk of this work was done by Club members.
A stalwart member who worked hard for the Club for some twenty odd years and one who has been described as among the best Outwood Clubmen ever was Mr. Fred Streeter. Mr. Streeter’s home was in Millers Lane and he was a near neighbour of Walter Scott. This enthusiastic clubman took on many jobs including that of “Catering Officer”. Fred was the mainstay of the Outwood batting strength and scored most of his runs with the aid and manipulation of his wrists. Among his larger scores were several made in partnership with his contemporary opening batsman Charlie Rice, who also notched up many runs for the Club.
1950 was quite an eventful year for the Club. At the A.G.M. held in January the Chairman drew the attention of members to what he considered to be the serious financial position of the Club. An unsuccessful attempt was made to raise the subscription from 1216 to 21/-. It seems rather odd that the motion to raise the subscription was unsuccessful as the same motion had been passed unanimously two months earlier at an extraordinary A.G.M. of the Club. However, at these meetings the principle of a match “levy” was agreed, the sum being 1/- per member per match. At the A.G.M. the groundsman (Mr. A. H. Harman) made the following staggering suggestion: “That his salary be reduced by £10”. This generous offer was accepted and recorded in the accounts as a “subscription”. During the winter of 1950 Mr. Harman resigned, having given the Club many years loyal service as Secretary, Treasurer, Groundsman, Player and Umpire. A silver tankard was presented to him as a token of appreciation from Club members.
Before the commencement of the season in 1950 it was felt in some quarters that the Club would find it a strain to honour its fixture list with its existing small playing membership. The position was discussed at a Committee Meeting and recorded in the minutes as what is described very tactfully one might feel as “A somewhat lengthy discussion” and it was decided to bring the Club playing membership up to strength by admitting a number of “outside” members.
In 1953, the Coronation Year of H.M. Queen Elizabeth , the Club participated in the village celebrations. On Coronation Day a procession was held and the Club had an exhibit consisting of a Tractor and Trailer, driven and manned by members of the Club dressed as “ye olde tyme” cricketers, and the procession terminated on the Common with all and sundry joining in a game of “ye olde tyme” cricket. A story is told of how two live and productive ducks lent by the Captain, formed part of the Club’s Carnival exhibit and of how from time to time the owner has tried without success to find out what happened to his ducks after the event. The present writer intends to say no more on this subject, which could still be deemed to be sub-judice,
About 12 months later a distinct pavilion improvement was made by installing gas lighting and running water to the two dressing rooms.
During the nineteen fifties the visiting team for August Bank holiday games was composed of West Indian cricketers, at first by a team playing under the title of “West Indian Students” and later the fixture was taken over by the strong side playing as “The West Indian Wanderers”. Some excellent games were played and the results usually favoured the Visitors. Luncheons on these occasions were mostly provided by and with the compliments of the Reigate Rotarians.
In 1955 the ground, and indeed the larger part of Outwood, was donated by Mr. Theodore Lloyd to the National Trust, and it is understood that so far as the ground is concerned it was laid down that the Club should have the right for all time to play on the present site.
The Surrey Association of Cricket Clubs started a six-a-side Charity competition among local clubs, the games being played during evenings on a knock-out basis, The Club first entered the competition in 1956 and although at the time of writing the Outwood Club has not won the competition, it has on the odd occasion reached the semifinal. The competition is run for charity and each year a sizeable cheque is handed to the organisation run in aid of Spastic children.
In 1955 the following entry was to be found in the Club’s fixture card. September 25th versus A. D. J. Ashpool’s XI, 1.30 p.m., at Home, This fixture and it successors for the following five years were to become the Club’s most outstanding playing events to date and among the famous Test and County players who appeared in these matches were P. B. H. May, the England and Surrey Captain of the period and considered by many the premier batsman in the World at that time, M. F Tremlett (England and Somerset), J. C. Laker (England and Surrey), G. A. R. Lock (England and Surrey), P. J. Loader (England and Surrey), A. V. Bedser (England and Surrey), D. W. Richardson (England and Worcester), G. M. Emmett (England and Gloucestershire), J. F. Crapp (England and Gloucestershire), G~ E. Tribe (Australia and Northants), K. V. Andrew (England and Northants), H. W. Stephenson (England and Somerset), M. J, Stewart (England and Surrey), R, Swetman (England and Surrey), C. McCool (Australia and Somerset), P. E. Richardson (England and Worcester), K. F. Barrington (England and Surrey), and other English and Australian County players.
The 1955 fixture was mostly recruited from Douglas Ashpool’s list of players who had supported him over the years by playing for a touring side led by himself, and they were reinforced by two well known professional players in the form of M. F. Tremlett ( England and Somerset ) and M. Tornkin ( Leicester ). The touring side batted first and scored 203 for 7 declared, and much to the delight of the spectators the home side reached 207 for 9 wickets with a few minutes left for play.
In 1956 Douglas intimated that a dozen or more County players could come to Outwood for what was then described as the “big match”. Club members were delighted and before the occasion the match was extensively advertised and on the day it was estimated that possibly 2,000 people arrived to see the game. Unfortunately, M, Tornkin who was to have skippered the Ashpool XI had tragically died some 3 days earlier. During the game black armlets were worn by all the players, the Club flag was lowered to half mast and a minute’s silence was observed. It has been intended that a collection for Club funds was to be made on the ground, but the collection amounting to over £100 was handed over to Maurice Torrikin’s widow and the money became the first contribution to a fund that was subsequently continued on a national basis. The game again ended in an exciting finish, Ashpool’s XI scoring 204, and the Outwood XI 205 for 7. It must be freely admitted that five of the professionals played for Outwood, among them J. F. Crapp ( England and Gloucester ) who delighted the crowd with 50 runs scored in characteristic fashion.
The 1957 “big match” was run on similar lines to the 1956 game and among the County cricketers who played for Outwood on this day was G. A. R. Lock ( England and Surrey ). A year or two later Mr. Lock played for the Club in a club match against Whiteoaks, On both occasions the Outwood team lost! In the “big match” Ashpool’s XI scored 205 for 7 and the Outwoodians 200. A silver collection was taken on the ground for the joint benefit of D. G. W. Fletcher (Surrey) and H. W. Stephenson (Somerset ). No attempt has been made to describe the “big matches” fully as it would put the rest of this history out of proportion, butIfeel one of the matches should be recorded in some detail and I have chosen the 1958 game, as perhaps this was the year the many stars who appeared attracted what was the largest number of people ever seen at one time on the Club ground. The match was for the benefit of E. A. Bedser ( Surrey ), one of the famous twins. Three Outwood players played for the visitors and indicates the friendly nature of the games.
The side representing Outwood batted first and the two County openers M. J. Stewart (38) and D. W. Richardson (27) gave them a good start and were well supported by the beneficiary (36) and his brother (40), also by G. E. Tribe (42), the Northants all-rounder who had played for Australia in the Victory Test matches in 1945.
The innings closed for 206 and when the Ashpool X] batted they immediately headed for the target. M. J. Bushby ( Cambridge University ) set the pace with a cracking 39. The highlight of the innings, and possibly of the whole series of matches was the batting of P. B. H. May who thrilled the crowd with some delightful shots. One drive was off George Tribe for a truly lost ball, as when it was last seen it was a mere speck in the sky over the large oak tree in the south-west corner of the ground and heading in the general direction of the Lloyd Hall. The game, as usual, ended in a close finish, the local side winning by 4 runs.
In 1959 the visitors included for the first time K. F. Barrington (En gland and Surrey ) and J. Livingston, the Australian who for several years was one of Northants leading players. The Outwoodians decided to take on the stars with all local players, so perhaps it is not surprising that whilst Ashpool’s Xl mustered 304 for 9 declared, the home side were dismissed for 100. Among the visitors was G. E. Tribe, the delightful character from “down under” who was playing his last game in England prior to returning to his native country. A collection was made on the ground and as a result a handsome presentation was made to George as a token of respect to this good fellow, whose company had been so much enjoyed in these matches.
The 1960 match was to be the last of the series and again the Outwood team decided to “go it alone” and although they did better than in 1959 the ultimate scores were Ashpool’s X] 218, Outwood 143. The most successful Outwood bowler on this occasion was the local boy Chris Shergold (4 for 29) who did not often bowl in Club matches, but he will no doubt always remember that on this day his victims included the English Test match players K. Andrew, G. A. R. Lock and J. C. Laker. The collection at this match went to Tony Lock, who had been enjoying his benefit season.
So these enjoyable and memorable games came to an end. In addition to the actual matches which had attracted some attention in the London evening papers and National press, the Club had considerably benefited financially. Whilst the collections had gone to the various players, they had in turn supported a Club Dance run on the evening before the games and the Club funds benefited considerably from these functions. Each year the games had been preceded by a cocktail.party and lunch given by Douglas Ashpool and his charming wife to the players, officials and officers of the Club.
The “big matches” and the week-ends during which they took place will long be remembered by those who had the honour of participating in the activities.
During the first match of the series in 1955, P. Reilly the local fast bowler had had the distinction of completing 200 wickets for the season, actually to be precise it was 199, but in round figures for the record the former could surely be taken. Earlier in the same season during one match he had cleaned bowled five batsmen with consecutive balls and the following ball missing the stumps by only a fraction of an inch. Admittedly the opposition were weak, but this would have been a fine performance even if he was bowling at his normal fast speed at three stumps without any batsman being present. Pat, after several seasons with the Club, decided to play in a slightly higher grade of cricket and in July 1956 moved on to Horley C.C.
Club activities in 1959 started on a sad note. Mr. Theodore H. Lloyd, President of the Club for 40 years, died on the 23rd March. He had shown a great interest in the Club during its 70 years existence and gave his constant support. Until 1958 both Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd were frequent spectators on match days at the ground. Mr. Lloyd had always been pleased and willing to take the chair at Club meetings and at the annual supper. As a mark of respect the Club did not elect a President for the 1959 season.
Subsequently Mrs. Lloyd donated a clock together with a plaque suitably worded as a memorial to her late husband. The clock was of similar design to that used on several county cricket grounds and greatly added to the facilities of the pavilion, as well as a boon on match days to players, umpires and spectators. Other pavilion improvements took place in 1959 when Calor gas, which had been put in a few years earlier to the kitchen, was extended to provide lighting. Washbasins connected with running water were also fixed in the dressing rooms. The playing subscription which had been increased from 1216 to 15/- at the 1959 A.G.M. (giving some indication of the general increased cost of living of the period) was again increased in 1962 to £1. Os. Od. At the A.G.M. of 1960 Mrs. B. M. Lloyd, widow of the late President, kindly accepted the vacant position of President and like her husband and her father-in-law did her best for the Club until her death on the 9th February, 1963. Mrs. Lloyd would often mention that she was a cricketer in her own right as when she was at school at Roedean she had skippered the girl’s cricket side attached to the school. She left £100 to the Club and this sum was spent on a pavilion improvement in the form of a shed, so enabling the pavilion to be kept clear of sight-screens, mowers, scoreboards, fertilizers, etc. A bronze plaque in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd was placed in the pavilion in 1964.
In 1960 a distinct ground improvement took place when new sight screens appeared at each end of the playing area. These had been paid for by one of the Club’s Vice- Presidents, M. D. Rawkins, M.D. Dr. Rawkins did not five in the area but would arrive for most matches, having motored down from London and he so enjoyed the games that he gave the sight screens and other benefits to the Club as a token of his thanks and appreciation.
Another gift for the Club players arrived in 1961 when Vice-Presidents A. D. J. Ashpool and Dr. Vivian H. Bowles presented a slip catching cradle in the fervent hope that fielding behind the wicket would reach perfection. It was also in 1961 that it was decided that the Club should have a club tie and after considering several designs, one of a dark blue background with light blue stripes and windmills also in light blue was chosen.
At the 1963 A.G.M. the Club members elected A. D. J. Ashpool as the President of the Club. Douglas was the obvious choice, since in addition to being a Vice-President and benefactor to the Club for many years, he had also been the Club Captain for six years, Secretary for seven years, and since 1946 Fixture Secretary, and he was a Committee man during the years he did not hold other office.
Like his predecessors in this office his great love of cricket, especially as played at Outwood, has been and still is reflected in his generosity to the Club, his continued support at Committee meetings when he is always interested whether it is an important matter under discussion such as who he should invite to be the principal guest at the annual Club supper or the recurring problem of the broken lock or condition of the shed housing the ladies’ toilet requirements!
Upon taking the chair at the 1963 A.G.M. one of the President’s first duties was to accept a proposition put forward that the Club history be written up and a member was delegated to start this task. However, at the corresponding meeting held in 1965 it transpired that not a lot of progress had been made, so the present author was asked to take over the problem and he undertook to produce something within 12 months.
The current August Bank Holiday fixture is against Blackboys, a village which lies south-east of Uckfield. This fixture, played on the Outwood ground, is comparatively new but has proved very popular with the players.
It was at the August game 1964 that the President, at a simple ceremony, unveiled in the pavilion the bronze plaque in memory of Mr. and Mrs. T. H. Lloyd. At the end of the ceremony Douglas suggested that the Club should give its next attention to the pavilion toilet facilities. A subscription list was opened on the spot and some £25 was immediately collected for the fund, which became known as the “Ablutions Fund”. During 1965 a working party led by Roger Allery, converted a room inside the pavilion previously used by the groundsman for storage purposes into a shower room.
This entailed considerable work, including taking up the existing wooden joist floor, laying and screeding a new concrete floor, lining walls and installing the plumbing and fittings. At the time of writing the work is nearing completion and will be ready for the 1966 season ‘ At a recent meeting it was proposed that “Miss World” be asked to perform the opening ceremony by taking the first shower, but this suggestion was unfortunately turned down and a more practical one adopted!
In 1964 the Club held a single wicket competition amongst members. After a summer containing a lot of glorious weather the Club took a chance of holding it on the first Sunday in October. The gamble came off as the weather was perfect and a thoroughly enjoyable day was held, the competition being won by Douglas P. Treacher. Incidentally, the day’s activities raised about £10 towards the Ablutions Fund. A similar competition in 1965 was won by Roger Allery.
As this chapter, relating to the period 1946-1955 draws to a finish one must pay tribute to a character who has played such a leading and prominent part,Irefer to David F. Clutterbuck who has to date held the position of Captain to the Club for twelve consecutive years, which is a Club record so far as records go back, although it must be said that Mr. Emery Wright, Captain for certain during the years 1896-1904, could possibly have been the Club’s inaugural captain in 1889 and for the following six years.
David, being a personal friend, will forgive me whenIsay that he is not the greatest cricketer in the world, but is in the opinion of many, including myself, the near ideal village club captain, whose duties of which are so numerous as to warrant a chapter on their own.Iwill abbreviate by saying they range on the one hand from making a lengthy speech at Club suppers to supervising the emptying and burying of the contents of the chemical closets installed at the pavilion, the actual operation being carried out by a member with two essential qualifications: (1) a very high sense of clubmanship; (2) the owner of a nose insensitive to smell.
When he took over in 1955 he followed popular Douglas Ashpool and it was a period when several players were retiring, and not many young men following. However, David with the advantage of local knowledge having lived in Outwood, got things going and after a shaky start soon had the Club thriving again. During his term of office he has supervised many ground and pavilion improvements and has been a great success at meetings, when he has always been at his best when difficult subjects were under discussion.
On the field of play he has been an inspiration to all with his unflappable approach to the game and his very high standard of sportsmanship. Perhaps his crowning glory was in one of the “big matches” when his first hit was a six over the pavilion roof off Tony Lock, the England and Surrey spin bowler. If there is some doubt as to whether or not he holds the record for the number of years as Captain, there is one record he holds that will surely never be surpassed and that is the record for having spoken at Club suppers for a total aggregate of four hours!
The author is here taking the opportunity to record in the last few pages a few personal impressions of Club activity through the years, offer some explanations and apologies and to cover a few matters that do not fall neatly into any fixed period.
The heading of this final chapter has no personal implication but it is written in the hope that before too many years have passed someone connected with the Club will produce a second edition of this modest document, revise or re-write it as they may consider appropriate and bring it up to date. i issue a challenge to the sitting officers of the Club of the future 1989 period to make sure that it is done so that a record of the flrst 100 years of the Club will be in existence.
Whilst an honest endeavour has been rnade to keep this history “factual” at the same time several of the stories told mightIfeel not stand up to an exhaustive enquiry! Take the Eton-Harrow match, for instance; that some such match did take place is reasonably certain, but it is doubtful if it appears among the records of either of these famous establishments, it being more likely that certain young gentlemen from the schools got together respective teams and played an unofficial match.
Regarding another of the stories, Waiter Scott’s unauthorised trips to his home during match play, it is the author’s opinion that Waiter did on occasion temporarily absent himself for the very good reason of wishing to attend to the wants of nature in a civilised manner. Even today the “toilets” on the ground are not exactly in the luxury class and in Waiter’s day they would possibly have been non-existent except in the natural surroundings of the woods, where one would obtain as much privacy as possible among the brambles and stinging nettles at the same time risking considerable discomfort if not positive danger!
Records and Averages
The foregoing pages do not carry a great many cases of records made on the field of play for the simple reason that complete statistics do not exist and for the same reason “averages” are not quoted at all. The “author” must confess that he is also “anti-averages”, which so often produce completely meaningless and freak results; and in any case is of the opinion that cricket is essentially a team game and every man does his part. However, in the early fifties the Club went to Lingfield for an afternoon match and created what is no doubt a “record” by any standards, Bob Dean, an all-round player who, when batting, scored runs all round the wicket with elegant stroke play, opened the innings and scored 104, the whole lot (less 4 singles) in boundary hits. His partner, Joe Greenhaigh, scored 55 not out and the final Outwood score was 250 forIdeclared, Bill Rand making 85 not out.
In 1924 the Club Supper was revived for the first time after the Great War and it was held at “The Bell” and attended by 67 people. The pub was considerably smaller in those days than it is at the present time and it must have been a near miracle how 67 people were served with supper in one evening. Incidentally, a round of drinks for the assembled company cost only 261-. Another year the supper was served in the pavilion. The hazards of getting home, after such a function on a winter’s evening were not without humour, the journey entailing, as it did, leaving the pavilion in the dark and negotiating muddy tracks and ditches through the woods. The experiment significantly was not repeated!
I have previously made reference to the fact that Club minutes of meetings of early days give very limited general information about the Club and to give an example neither of the above mentioned events are recorded in the Minutes. In fact the first Club supper that is recorded was the one held at the Lloyd Hall in the autumn of 1948, the first held after the Second World War. Catering, as indeed was the case for the following two years, was carried out by an outside caterer, but in 1951 the Ladies of the Club laid on the meal, which was on a “sausage and mash” basis, with trifle and cream and cheese and biscuits also being served. Entertainment was by Mr. R. Searle at the piano, the versatile Alf Young rendered songs and a gentleman named ” Oporto ” provided “magic” and humour and his act still causes smiles by those who attended this function. During the early 1950’s it was customary for professional entertainers to be engaged and whilst it must be said they did not all meet with complete success, this was not the case when David Nixon arrived and gave his act. Mr. Nixon subsequently became a well known television personality.
Year after year the chief guest would be the current County Captain and those who have come, some for several years consecutively, include E. R. T. Holmes, Stuart Surridge, P. B. H. May and M. J. Stewart. Also from Surrey we have had the Bedser twins, and J. C~ Laker, whilst among others to sit down have been Barry Knight (Essex), Maurice Tremlett ( Somerset ) and George Emmett ( Gloucester ). Since the Second War the suppers have been more or less on the same pattern and although it is not at this moment history, again for future record I feel it would not be out of place to write a short description of the 1965 supper.
It was held at the Lloyd Hall on the 27th November, the admission tickets, having of necessity been restricted in numbers and costing 12/6 each. The Hall was beautifully decorated, the stage at the rear stacked with magnificent blooms of chrysanthemums laid on through the auspices of Vice-President W. T. Barton and his gardener. Tables were beautifully laid and decorated with 19 replicas of the Outwood Post Mill, these having been made by an artistically skilled lady and were in cardboard 15 inches high and painted in light and dark blue, with real small flowers around the bases. Also on the table were candelabra each containing candies of Club colours.
A packed hall of 90 people sat down to an excellent meal of Chicken Supreme with creamed potatoes and peas, ice cream gateaux, cheese and biscuits with celery and coffee. The hot food had been cooked by various ladies around the village and collected in a type of hay box containers by Vice-President T. P. C. Judge, sometimes described as the “flying cheC, a chore Paul had carried out for several years on supper night.
The ladies served the meal with a precision that would have been the envy of any restaurateur.
The chief speakers, whose speeches of about 20 minutes each were more of an entertainment than a formal speech, were, representing the Club, D. F. Clutterbuck (Captain), Vice-President Granville Roberts, O.B.E., and for the visitors M. J. Stewart (County Captain) and Cliff Michelmore of the British Broadcasting Corporation, and these were augmented by Douglas Ashpool (President and Chairman), and Toastmaster Vice-President F. W. Forbes. Mr. W. T. Barton also gave a short vote of thanks to the ladies and made a generous donation to Club funds, an act he had done so frequently in the past.
Among those attending the function was the veteran Club member Charlie Martin, who for many years prior to the Second World War had been the team’s stock slow off break bowler.
When bowling, Charlie had a few well remembered characteristics. Always performing at the bottom end and wearing a dark flat cloth cap he would invariably before advancing on his two or three step run up carefully eye the batsmen, transfer his gaze for a few seconds to his own feet and then bowl a ball which would pitch 12 inches outside the off stump and swing in viciously.
As well may be expected, Charlie over the years had many victims. Owing to his advanced years Mr. Martin had been escorted to the function by the well known and respected local character Tommy Roberts who himself had been a Club Captain and constant supporter of the Club for many years.
Tommy in his playing days was a left-handed opening bat and scored a lot of runs for the Club with strokes that were a pleasure to watch. He could always be easily picked out in the field as he was a Specialist at “Point”, his favourite position.
The bar was run by Vice-President J. Rabone, current Licensee of “The Bell”.
The Ladies of the Club
This paragraph will be short as it would be invidious (and unwise) to name individually any present day lady or ladies of the Club to the exclusion of others, but neverthelessIjoin with all members in realizing the debt owed to the ladies for the terrific amount of work which has been and is still being done for the Club by way of support at the Annual Supper, social events and at every home match by the preparation of teas served in the pavilion. They are considered to be second to none so far as village club cricket is concerned. For future record mayIsay that teas consisting of beverage, sandwiches of all kinds, and cakes all ad-lib are enjoyed by players and spectators alike, the current charge being 2/- per head.
In the Autumn of 1965, Mrs. Ashpool, helped by ladies of the Club, ran a dance for M. J. Stewart, the Surrey County Captain, at the Lakers Hotel, Redhill, which resulted in a cheque for approximately £200 to add to his benefit fund being handed to this popular player who had been a good friend to the Club and would have been the beneficiary had a “big match” been organised in this year.
In spite of the opening sentence of this paragraph I would like to pay tribute to a lady of the past of whomIhave heard a lot, but did not have the pleasure of meeting. I refer to Mrs. M. Young, wife of Arthur Young, who was responsible for pavilion teas immediately before and after the Second World War. Mrs. Young was affectionately known among the members as Aunty Mag. After the war she would arrive on the ground armed with home-made cakes made by herself from egg3 and other ingredients saved from her rations, boil the water on a paraffin stove and provide a first class tea for the players.
The pavilion does not hold a memorial plaque to this kind lady but perhaps the best memorial to her of all, so far as the Club is concerned is the fact that the spirit she engendered is carried on by the present and I am sure will be continued by future ladies of the Club.
Presidents and Vice-Presidents
I have throughout this history made frequent references to “The Presidents”and I will not do so again except to say how fortunate the Club has been to have had only four Presidents during its 76 years life, all of whom have been most active members of the Club and not merely figureheads. The Club has also been fortunate with the support it derives from its Vice-Presidents and subscribers. These mainly consist of ex-players of the Club and others interested in the Club’s welfare. Collectively they annually donate approximately £100 to Club funds and this is easily the biggest item in the Club’s Income Account.
The Changing Scene
It does seem rather remarkable that in the nineties and early part of the present century, the village consisting of fewer houses than today was able to field two elevens of local players on Saturday afternoons. The local people looked upon the games as a minor festival of the village and spectators were in considerable numbers all around the ground.
At the present time one eleven is fielded on Saturdays and Sundays and at times the Club are hard pressed to produce the necessary number of players and officials and are only able to do so by the fact that the majority of the playing members are drawn from outside the village. In fact it is quite obvious that the Club could not honour its fixture list without outside members.
As recorded earlier in this history, it was customary for the Vicars to give considerable support to the Club by attending meetings and social functions, several played and one was skipper for a season, but since 1945 the Club has not, as yet, had a Vicar playing with the team, though in fairness it must be said that only a small percentage of Club members have regularly attended church services.
Gone are the days when several members of one family played at the same time but occasionally current day members of the Club have the pleasure of seeing father and son playing in the same team. Two such cases are Vice-Captains George Constable and John Christie whose sons Tony and Adrian respectively are regular members of the side, the former being a brilliant fielder and the latter a pace bowler who in his first full season with the Club was top of the bowling averages, having on several occasions completely wrecked the opposition’s batting. Gone are the days too when the Captain could be a gentleman who having arrived on horseback led his team out onto the field wearing a monocle and gloves. The modern Captain is more likely to turn up in a land rover or a saloon car and dressed in an orthodox manner.
Gone are the days when the No. 4 batsman arriving at the wicket wearing a cloth cap, took guard with the toes of his left foot pointing towards the heavens, crouches low over his bat and then proceeds to act as the team’s sheet anchor. Gone are the days when among the later batsmen would be the village blacksmith who with his arms and muscles glistening with honest sweat in the sun would proceed to flay the bowling by hitting mighty sixes in all directions.
Their counterparts today are more likely to be young men who, having had the benefit of expert coaching at school or the indoor cricket school, arrive at the wicket with the object of making runs by delightful stroke play. These changes, of course, are not confined to Outwood cricket, for all village clubs have undergone similar changes, some have lost their grounds to building operations and instead of a cricket ground we see modern brick and red tile roofed semi-detachd residences with “H. & C. and all mod cons.”.
Other village grounds which were set in rural surroundings are now public recreation grounds, a sort of oasis amongst concrete and glass structures said to be schools or factories.
Although at Outwood the constitution of the team has undoubtedly changed from being a team of purely local talent consisting of the “gentry” and their workers, the Vicar, the blacksmiths, millers, publicans and similar types, to a team mostly consisting of men who earn their living by commuting daily to London, at the same time we who still enjoy cricket at Outwood, unlike so many other village clubs, are able to do so more or less as Squire Alfred Lloyd intended when he had the ground cleared and the Pavilion built before the present century. Gordon Home, in 1929, wrote in his book “The Charm of Surrey” the following and in doing so must have had the cricket ground much in mind, and the picture still applies with the exception that one of the Mills has been blown down. I quote, “Still further from the maddening crowd is Outwood Common where two Mills hold aloft their remaining sails over a stretch of grassy upland-it is a spot difficult to find but eminently worth the trouble of discovering”.
Nearing the end of this history the reader, assuming some will have maintained interest and reached this far, will have realised that the underlying theme has been the fact that good clubmanship is an essential part of cricket at Outwood and in this connection I offer my sincere apologies to all those good people past and present and amounting in numbers to dozens and even perhaps hundreds who have done sterling work for the Club but who have not been mentioned in these modest few pages of history of the Club.
Again with the underlying theme foremost in mind, I have been able to prepare a List of Honour of the Club and this gives a complete list of names of Captains, Vice-Captains and Secretaries dating back to 1906 and in part back to 1889.Ihave not named the Fixture Secretaries and Treasurers as these two important posts are only dated from after the Second World War.
Mr. Emery Wright was Treasurer when he was Captain, but generally up until 1940 the Secretary’s job was deemed to include the job of Fixture Secretary and more often than not that of Treasurer. Among those who have been Fixture Secretary are J. S. Greenhalgh, A. D. J. Ashpool, yours truly, and the reigning officer W. A. Farish. Treasurers include W. Batt, C. Springbett, R. S. Chapman, and the current Treasurer, D. G. Steel, who joined the Club as a member near the end of his playing career, together with J. E. Willcocks. The latter was a “tweaker” bowler and forceful bat, the former a sound opening bat and an occasional bowler who sent up leg breaks and who every now and again would bowl a ball that would have everyone baffled. Jack Willcocks upon playing retirement became a Club umpire and Dennis Steel still continued to manipulate the Club’s financial problems.
i would like to complete this chapter with the fine advice to all players so frequently quoted by David Clutterbuck: “For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name, he writes not what you won or lost but how you played the game”.
LIST OF HONOUR
|to||Not Known||Not Known||W.H.Scott|
|1896||Emery Wright||No appointment||W.H.Scott|
|1897||Emery Wright||No appointment||W.H.Scott|
|1898||Emery Wright||No appointment||W.H.Scott|
|1899||Emery Wright||No appointment||W.H.Scott|
|1900||Emery Wright||No appointment||W.H.Scott|
|1901||Emery Wright||No appointment||W.H.Scott|
|1902||Emery Wright||No appointment||W.H.Scott|
NOTES ON A FEW OF THE INTERESTING BUILDINGS IN THE OUTWOOD DISTRICT
The village of Outwood is an ecclesiastical, rather than a geographical entity and its accepted boundaries run across the divisions created for local government purposes. Outwood Church was built in 1869 and was part of the Parish of Burstow until it was given ecclesiastic independence.
Indeed Outwood contains segments of four old Parishes, namely Bletchingley, Burstow, Horne and Nutfield.
Old maps give the impression that 300 to 400 years ago (and even earlier), the buildings within the area consisted of large manor houses such as Burstow Park in the North and Burstow Lodge or Manor just outside the southern end, and a number of smaller manor and farm houses. During the nineteenth century the area attracted successful business men who bought residences in what was then very good hunting country.
Farms were purchased, farm houses were enlarged and modernised and made into suitable homes for the new occupants, the “gentlemen farmers”.
Approaching the village from Smallfield, the first old building of any architectural interest is the sixteenth century house named Cogman’s Farm, which in the past has also been known as Tottings or Norman ‘s Farm. It is worth describing as it is fairly typical of several other old residential farmhouses in the area. It was built in three distinct phases, the northern end possibly first, followed by the middle section. Most of the southern end is an extension built shortly before World War II to the plans, and under the supervision, of a London architect.
Mainly constructed of solid oak posts, beams and roof timbers, it has a moss covered slabbed Horsharn slate roof to the main elevation, and the rest of the roof is covered with pegged tiles. The front elevation is a mixture of timber, stucco and ornamental tile hangings, and one of the smaller windows at the first floor level has recently been uncovered for the first time since the iniquitous ”window tax”, which even modern Chancellors have not dared to re-impose so far this century.
Opposite Cogman’s stands Old Hall which was built in 1691 and is representative of farmhouse architecture of that period, Since its earliest days it has been in continuous occupation by a member of the Scott family.
Pagefield Cottage (now named The Cottage) nearby was built around the same time, and like the previously named houses is protected under the various Acts covering buildings of special architectural and historic interest, and scheduled by the Surrey County Council.
With a small contingent of the Scott family living at the foot of the hill, and with Walter Scott (and other Scotts) living in the village near the top of the hill, it is not surprising that the line of communication is called Scott’s Hill, although it is shown on early ordnance survey maps as Scoot’s Hill.
At the top of Scott’s Hill is Old Cottage, previously known as Miller’s Farm. This house, with its beautiful outlook towards the South Downs , was among the first to be built in the area. The adjoining Marl Pond has also been in existence for many years.
In the centre of Outwood the protected buildings include the sixteenth century Wasp Green Farm and the eighteenth century Red Cottage, later renamed Wasp Well. About five years ago another “protected” building named High Stile was, unfortunately, demolished. Most of the remaining older houses were built during Victoria ‘s reign.
In addition to the building of the Church (1869) the School followed in 1876 and the Baptist Chapel in 1879.
Towards the Western border of the Parish stands Shepheardshurst, a country house mostly built towards the latter end of the nineteenth century and within the area previously known as Shepherds Farm. Two cottages once existed near the previous farmhouse and these were used by the Baptists as a chapel. They also used the nearby lake, still in existence, for the purpose of baptizing their followers.
At the North entrance to Shepheardshurst there was once a small school, constructed of galvanised iron, the predecessor of the present primary school.
Slab Cottage, also near the North entrance, was converted into modern living accommodation out of a building previously known as Slab Castle and part of The Orchards was the local butcher’s shop. Nearby Stonehouse Farm is among the oldest farmhouses in the Parish.
South-west of Shepheardshurst is the hamlet of Woolborough, and protected properties in this corner of Outwood parish include Little Woolborough Farm, one of the old farm buildings restored in the early eighteenth century, and Woolborough Farm, parts of which are over 600 years old. This is one of the oldest buildings in the parish and deserves a brief description.
The name itself is not without interest inasmuch as there are references to it in the Surrey Subsidy Roll of 1332 to . . . “De Thoma de Wolberg Villata de not felde” and it is mentioned in the 1911 edition of Victoria County History that in 1086 Notfelle (nuttefeld XIVth Century) was placed in the hundred of Churchfelde (later Reigate) that in 1364 Cecily de Beauchamp held five acres of meadow in Nutfield of John de Wolbergh. In 1463 William Sidney “died siezed of the Manor of Wolbergh”.
The manor house was originally built of local stone quarried around Reigate, and though renovated over the years, still retains on the north and west sides its large, rough hewn stone blocks, and one of the original chimney pieces. In a particularly good state of preservation are the cellar walls, consisting entirely of stone blocks, under the east side of the house. It has also some remarkable ships’ timbering with beams 12 and 13 inches square and portions of wattle and daub remain intact in the loft area walling under a well raftered “L” shaped roof where a segment of a cannon ball was found tightly wedged.
It features in the Tithe Award Map of 1844 with the entry showing in the then owner Sir Timothy Shelley; he died in that year with the property passing to his eldest son, namely Percy Bysshe Shelley, the renowned poet and writer (drowned 1822).
Towards the southern end of the Parish and at the foot of Rookery Hill stands the well preserved large farmhouse named Rookery Farm, of sixteenth century vintage. In addition to the roof the front elevation is mostly tiled and the ‘front door’ is an oak door of stable type design.
At the northern end of the parish stands Harewoods House which is now a school for backward children but until recently was the accepted “Manor” house of the district. Like many similar large houses Outwood the house was built some 300 years ago as a small far house of which very little remains. It was developed into a country house about 100 years ago.
In the nearby vicinity is Burstow Park , the most ancient building in Outwood, with a medieval defensive moat still clearly traceable.
Before the 13th century it belonged to the Archbishop of Canterbury ‘s Manor of Wimbledon .. In 1536 the notorious Thomas Cromwell, despoiler of monasteries, became possessed of the building but upon his execution the land passed to the Crown (Henry VIII). It was purchased privately in 1888.
The Public Houses within the parish are:
(a) The Bell Inn, which was built in or about 1635 and later named “The Bell of Bletchingley”. Among distinguished visitors during the seventeenth century are said to have been King Charles II and Nell Gwynne.
(b) The Prince of Wales is the second oldest “pub” in the parish and is situated near the old coaching route from Merstham to the South. For many years a small confectionery and newspaper shop was situated alongside the building. Built as a private residence, is was converted to a “pub” about the middle of the last century.
(c) The Castle is over a 100 years old and invariably referred to by local people as “The Donkey”, a name said to be derived from the fact that on one occasion a donkey was taken into the bar and sold by auction. This comparatively small house was once divided into a grocer’s shop together with a baker’s shop and the large fireplace in the “Donkey Bar” was the spot housing the oven for bread baking.
To many the most interesting building in Outwood is the Post Mill which is situated 400 feet above sea level and the local landmark of the district. It was built in the year 1665 by a miller named Thomas Budgen. The Mill derives its name from its “King Post” basis of construction. It has been well maintained and renovated and is the oldest working mill in the British Isles .
It was purchased by the Jupp family of Outwood in 1868 and remained in that family’s possession for nearly 100 years. In 1860 a second and larger mill, known as the Smock Mill, was constructed on an adjacent plot, but this mill had a chequered and unhappy career in its later life and it collapsed during a gale a few years ago.
L.C.WALLER, April 1966